Cozy knitwear dreaming...

Ahh, knitwear... what's not to love about a warm woolly cardigan? When it adds pounds, swaps your frame, pills like crazy (a topic which by the way has its own Wikipedia entry) or makes you itch like you have fleas - that's what!

A good number of my knits were recently (immediately) culled - no qualms whatsoever, for the following reasons:
  • I got rid of ALL my skivvies and turtlenecks as I find them to be suffocating.  I am uncertain about how it is that I managed to build up a collection of 7 such styles if I despise wearing them.
  • A long line grey cardi seemed like the ideal addition to my wardrobe one Winter, but in wearing it I discovered that it just clung horribly to my hips and crept up over my bottom - not a good look. 
  • Another long line 'lounge wear' type cardi made me feel like a desperate housewife (of which I am neither), so it was culled before I even got to wear it. It was way too drapey and and a little too "homely" even though that's what I desperately seek from a cardigan.
  • Knits with extreme piling - I'm looking at you acrylic. 
  • I sadly threw out a couple of knits which quite clearly due to not being worn for an extended period of time had become delicious meals for moths.
  • Culled also were a couple of short sleeved knits (one with a turtle neck even!) a concept which I do not understand.  If you are cold enough to wear a woolly knit, why on earth would you want bare arms?

A small pile of knits survived my cull sessions and now sit folded neatly in my drawer.  Nevertheless, due to fit and quality issues, all but a few are destined to be culled in the future as soon as I upgrade and buy replacements.

I really long for one of those gorgeous cozy knits (sans all the problems listed in my opening paragraph and the above list) that ends up becoming my 'go to' on a cold Winter's Saturday or Sunday.  I've had a quick look online and the styles below take my fancy if money was no object (but it always is).

Top row: La Garconne 'Moderne' alpaca handknit sweater in black, heather grey and cream, Etoile Isabel Marant 'Claire' cropped pullover, Crumpet raglan sleeve cashmere sweater, Bottom row: Chinti and Parker striped knitted organic sweater, Peter Jensen waffle knit cardigan, J.Crew fisherman cotton-blend cardigan and Hope 'Ease' cardigan

6 comments:

  1. I never quite understood the short sleeved pullovers either! The alternative might be a margaret howell style knitted tank, perhaps, but the tee shirt style really baffles me, and seems somewhat dated (in a bad way) for some reason.
    I also never understood how moths get into wardrobes....

    I used to adore longline cardi's, it was my way of being able to wear tight fitting tops and pants without revealing my figure too much, but they always seemed to sag out of shape after wearing, and I detest that little pucker which forms around the hem of drapey garments. I still long for a chunky grey/cream version, but have to admit that it exists only in dreams, I think.

    Love your colour choices here. The Marant sweater is the only item of hers that has ever caught my eye, to tell the truth - even though so many of my favourite bloggers wear her clothes so perfectly - I can never envisage them on myself. However, I was troubled by the view of this sweater from the back on the NAP model. I kinda got a H&M vibe, and had to come away ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find knitwear difficult to buy especially for the reasons I described in my opening paragraph of this post. Although I like the knits I found, I would not be game enough to spend so much on one without actually trying it on first.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE a good knit, and these examples are gorgeous! Love that red waffle cardi, and Chinti & Parker always seem to make perfect striped knits! Scanlan & Theodore and SABA are also great for merino wool (or baby wool) knits! Now, if only I could keep moths from getting to them.... :(

    xx
    CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out the S&T and Saba knits if I don't find anything in the states (unlikely :) )

      Delete
  3. Just discovered your blog and love reading the progress of your wardrobe cull. I've been on a similar path the past year, lots of things coming and going. As of 2012, I got really ruthless and culled almost everything I don't wear on a regular basis for all seasons. The hot weather in Europe has yet to come but I have a pretty good idea what I will actually wear vs. what I would like to look like but don't actually wear. There are still some pieces that I have a hard time getting rid of, but from the rate I'm going, I'm sure they will be gone before summer officially arrives.

    Sometimes I think I've over purged a bit, despite I have no regrets with all the items I got rid of. Perhaps I'm just not use to having a near empty wardrobe. I'm not aiming to be a minimalist but I got addicted to the idea of having the perfect wardrobe where I love and wear every single piece I own and everything goes with everything else. I'm not there yet but getting closer I think.

    Do you find the culling process to be a bit addictive and the perfect wardrobe to be achievable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, sorry for the delayed response. I took a break from blogging whilst away.

      Good question.

      Yes I find wardrobe culling addictive and fun... BUT annoyingly frustrating at the same time in that the culling and wardrobe building process never seems to end if one has limited funds and time. Oh how nice would it be to start from scratch with a few grand (more than a few) in spending money just to buy your dream clothes and accessories?

      With respect to the second part of your question - my shopping exploits over my holiday have left me confused as to what is the "perfect wardrobe". I think it's different for everyone. Like you I like the idea of loving and wearing every single piece I own, however, more and more I realise I do not desire for everything to go with everything else... I will write more about that in time once I get my thoughts in line.

      Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete