Self-acceptance & the ONE IN ONE OUT culling strategy...

I have to be honest with you all - I have added a lot more to my wardrobe than I have culled over the last three months.

Thanks to a frenzied shopping spree in the US and a successful "hunting" trip to Myer after receiving an invite to the Myer One Designer Clearance, my wardrobe is once again looking rather full *sigh*.

Readers commented upon my return from the US that they could not wait to hear about my holiday purchases and although I prepared a post outlining what I bought, I could not publish it.  Reading it made me feel dirty and to publish it would be akin to airing my dirty laundry in public.

Just one of my US purchases

Nevertheless after some quiet contemplation (hence the less frequent blog posts), I have realised that I have not committed a crime... rather I have enjoyed spending the money which I have earned (after paying all my bills and putting food on the table).

Yes readers, I have resigned myself to the fact that I enjoy buying new things.  Although now, having the benefit of hindsight, I know that things can really get out of hand if I don't reel myself.

So having said all of this, in this my second year of my blog, I will try to utilise the ONE IN ONE OUT culling strategy* having already finished my more extensive allover cull.

The ONE IN ONE OUT culling strategy means that this year for each new fashion item that I buy, I must get rid of a fashion item.  The same will go for cosmetics.  I must finish a product before I replace it with a new product, or at least get rid of a product that I do not enjoy using.

The idea behind the ONE IN ONE OUT culling strategy is that it will force me to be even more critical and mindful of the contents of my wardrobe.  Each time I buy something new I will have to revisit exactly what I have and how I feel about it.  Ideally I will eventually reach a point of WARDROBE EQUILIBRIUM - the point in which everything in my wardrobe is balanced and has meaning.

I have already utilised the ONE IN ONE OUT culling strategy in this past week.  I will write about it in my next post.


*NB: Utilising this strategy before undertaking the extensive allover cull is CHEATING.




9 comments:

  1. You know what I've discovered? Spending no money is the key to decluttering. My husband and I owed a boatload of taxes this past April, which we discovered last December. So the past six months have been about buying only the household essentials, plus we each have a pretty small monthly "allowance" to tend to our own needs (like haircuts, personal care items in excess of the necessities, flowers for my desk at work, etc.), and literally saving all the rest. All of it. Suddenly, it seems the house stays cleaner, all the food in the fridge gets eaten, and everything just feels more manageable on the homefront somehow. Knowing that I can't and won't buy any clothes has had me unconsciously mulling over the clothes I do have, and whether I really like them, and which items I love and which I don't. Right now, there is no possibility of "one in, one out" -- but the idea of, say, "two out, zero in" for the first time in my life sounds pretty ok with me.

    I don't know, just some little musings. I guess I'm kind of enjoying?? being out of stores, not thinking about what I want, revisiting what I have, and having less stuff in my house going to waste or demanding maintenance.

    I expected Operation Savings to feel punative, but it's been liberating. What a surprise.

    Came across this quote the other day and it so resonated with my situation: "The real pleasure-seeking is the combination of luxury and austerity in such a way that the luxury can really be felt." (G.K. Chesterton)

    I've never appreciated that state of being before!

    manon729

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon - Sorry to hear about your tax woes, but it's wonderful to hear that you are enjoying a more frugal life. Sometimes when life throws us a curve ball we have no choice but to stop and smell the roses.

      So far I have been quite fortunate in my life and although sometimes I complain and carry on like a pork chop, posts like yours make me realise that things in my life are more than fine and dandy.

      All the best to you x

      Delete
  2. I will say I had quite looked forward to seeing what you had bought, but after my last post I am on the complete same level as you. I suppose I have operated on a one in one out for a wee while, but for me it's more trying to keep,the number of pieces under 100 so my wardrobe doesn't spiral out of control. I hate to admit I've bought and sold already what feels like a lot this year, but at least I'm being smart about it.

    I wish the thrill of buying new things wasn't so good lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jamie-lee, I might still post what I bought in drips and drabs. I might even do some psuedo outfit posts disguised as lifestyle posts :)

      I'm like you in that I have been selling on eBay for years, however for years i have also been shopping like a maniac. I would like to stop this bevahious, so that like you I can enjoy a more streamlined wardrobe.

      Delete
  3. I think I have to implement a one in out policy because I think I may have a slight hoarding tendency *blush*
    After doing my big cull I realise now how great it is not to have an over flowing wardrobe... I would love to keep it that way, but still shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's important to be kind to yourself! You're being mindful and that is a big start. I too enjoying buying nice new clothes. I have found that in having less items they wear out quicker, so I still get to buy something most seasons that I actually do need. And enjoy going to nice shops with good service to get them. Lovely to discover an Aussie blogging on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello thanks for visiting my blog! I think that I'm way too kind to myself ;)

      Delete
  5. I felt the same too for a long time, then i went to NYC last year and spend several thousand on clothes and make up. I few bloggers I interact with regularly had asked to see my stuff and that's when i thought bugger it. I worked hard to earn every single cent I spent and that money was all mine, so why shouldn't I choose to blow it on fun stuff? I say spend and be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, You're right, so long as the boring stuff is taken care of, why not just blow it all?!?! LOL I guess I'm just mindful of making too many shopping mistakes and building up a too full wardrobe once again.

      Delete